Tuesday, May 19, 2009

KERO reaches out to the far corners of the county

Anyone else out there enjoying ABC23's (KERO) coverage of Kern County lately? I love it when Julie Flannery reports about Tehachapi in front of what looks like a poster or mural of mountains. And the Web site makes it easy to click on a map and get that area's local news.

What a great idea. No other Bakersfield news source now cares as much about outlying communities than KERO seems to. I was sucked into Delano week – and was thoroughly entertained as Rusty Shoop reported the weather to the tune of Delano High School's band while holding an umbrella in the rain. I also dug Taft week, and one particular story of an old-timer remembering the days of the oil gushers.

This seems pretty novel to me that a local TV station is taking advantage of niche reporting. And what a great revenue model! Every advertisement during the broadcast is for a local business of that town. Now I want to drive to Delano just to try 3 D's Grill, featuring Filipino and Japanese cuisine.

1 comment:

  1. Good concept, I agree. But I think they still have work to do. I personally don't care about every ribbon cutting in every part of Kern County. Give me more hard, meaningful news in my community.

    ReplyDelete